Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Traveling with Babies

Traveling with babies. I must admit, it is not my FAVORITE thing to do. The crying in the car(times two in our car, okay three if you count Layne), the sleepless nights, the grumpy babies. But, this past weekend Layne & I decided to brave it. We took our first family vacation. Yes our very FIRST family vacation, with just our little family, no one else. And it was totally worth the hassle! It was so nice to be away from the phone(particulary Layne's work phone), the internet, the TV, the housework, all those things that can distract & occupy our time. While we were there we played games, went fishing, rode the motorcycle and hung out with some old friends, David & Summer. Of course I forgot to get a pic of them. They have two boys the same age as Caleb & Carter and they all got along so well. We wish they still lived by us.
But here are some other pics I managed to take:
Here is Carter riding the mini-motorcycle. He loved it, he just rode around & around in a circle.
We went fishing twice. Here is a picture of Layne getting the bait ready, gross! I am not a big fan of slimy worms, but Caleb is! I had to throw this picture in, even though its a little blurry....she WARMS my heart.
One afternoon we went on the search for Hawlee Lake...after a long drive up a secluded road & two sleeping babies later...oops I mean three...Brinkley was sleeping too...we found it....it was so peaceful & beautiful!
Look how beautiful...and the weather was perfect!
Brinks & I enjoying the lake. I know you are thinking where are her socks...I could have sworn I packed them in the diaper bag.

Here are the boys fishing. We didn't stay long enough to catch any fish, but the boys & I saw our first craw dad!
I am so thankful for the gratitude of friends in letting us stay at their cabin. We made lots of memories that hopefully my boys will always remember. My favorite part of the trip was playing freeze tag in the backyard with my boys....and getting pinned down by Layne & Caleb & Carter tickling me until I cried...I felt like a kid again.

17 comments:

Tim and Amy said...

You are so gorgeous! What a precious little fam you have, too! Glad you guys got to get away for a little while!

[If you enlarge the pics on the blog -its a little easier to find Tim :o)]

Hope you have a fantastic week!

TJ and Jen Sherwood said...

That is sooo fun! I can't imagine traveling with 4 kids. I can't even get it all together with just TJ and I.

Brad, Briene and Brayden said...

How nice to get away for the weekend. Sounds like it was needed. Hope you guys are doing good!

Kyle said...

Looks like a fun getaway! My kids love to go to Hawley Lake...so beautiful!
How's life with 4 kids? We need to get together soon!!

amberbuck said...

Awww! I love cabin, camping, dunes whatever trips that get you away from life and all the mundane chores and what not that we deal with everyday. Where did you guys go? It looks beautiful, we should go camping together when it gets warmer!

Carlie said...

wow.that looks like you guys had such an awesome time .Im trying to convince bo to take a few days off work so that we can take a family vaca to his moms cabin. it would be sooo nice. anyways, glad you guys had fun.

Mel said...

How fun! Can't wait for my vacation without Ryan's work phone! LOL Looks like you had a fabulous time!

Steph said...

OKay am I a bad sister?? I had no clue you guys went out of town!! How fun!! It looks like you guys had SO much fun!!

Terolleeq said...

I love the picutres! I am so glad you had a great time. love ya Mom

Lisa said...

How fun! Adorable pictures. I am so glad you had a good time! It sounds like so much fun. It makes me want to take a vacation.

Amy said...

How fun to get away. I hear benadryl works wonders on traveling with kids! :> xoxo

btw - you are smokin' hot!

Flaherty Fam said...

What a fun trip. It always takes a lot of work to get out the door and on the road, but the memories that are made are priceless. Brinkley is such a doll...I love her yellow sweater jacket.

Flaherty Fam said...

What a fun trip. It always takes a lot of work to get out the door and on the road, but the memories that are made are priceless. Brinkley is such a doll...I love her yellow sweater jacket.

Andrea said...

Glad you had a fun time and even glader that you are home!!! I missed my sister while you were gone!! Those pictures of the family are priceless. I love the one of cute litte Brinkley with her hairbow. She is getting sooo big. I am glad you put some pictures of yourself up too. You look GOOD and SKINNY! What are you doing to get so skinny?

Brooklyn said...

Katie!!!!!! How are you?! Britt said she saw you at the santan playplace a while back. You and Layne look so wondeful and happy in that picture. You are so beautiful!!!! How are you? I loved reading all the posts and catching up on your sweet family :)

Shelly said...

What a great getaway!! It looks like you had some fantastic weather too.

Oh, I am blogging again too.

Amy F. said...

That is awesome! What a needed reminder that we sometimes all just need to get away.
You guys are super parents -4 young kids in a car. No wonder when they were asleep it was so heavenly ;)
I'm so glad for you guys! Hope all is well.